In today’s post, I’m going to show you how to fix the overheating laptop without taking it apart and how to improve the performance and extend the life of your laptop.
Today, laptops have become more powerful and slimmer than ever before. Components that make the laptop so powerful are the number of processors and the graphics cards that support a bigger screen with high resolution.
These components provide fast speed while on the other hand, these components cause an overheating problem. Overheating causes your laptop hardware failure or other internal damage.
Causes of laptop overheating
There can be so many reasons for the overheating of your laptop. Some of them are discussed below:
- Malfunctioned or damaged fans due to dust resisting it to rotate properly
- Blocking in the air vents preserves air from entering into your laptop.
- Your fan and processor can go on overdrive if you run too many software applications in the background.
- Bad habits such as using inappropriate (soft) surfaces can block the air vents while using the laptop. As a result, your laptop becomes overheated.
- Laptop batteries usually rely on lithium, a chemical that decays over time as a natural phenomenon. When a laptop gets old, it becomes less efficient in action. As a result, the laptop becomes overheated.
So, it’s important to fix this laptop overheating problem without taking it apart.
Some laptops have built-in cooling components that prevent the laptop from overheating. The components that are responsible for cooling are i.e. metallic conductors that are made of aluminum and copper known as a heat sink and the other one is the fan.
So let’s deep dive in.
The Definitive Guide – How To Fix Overheating Laptop Without Taking It Apart:
You just need to follow these steps if you want to fix your laptop from overheating. Following are the steps:
- Facts Of Cooling Pad You Didn’t Know
- Signs That Tells The Laptop Is Overheating
- Finding The Main Problem Of Overheating
- Create Data Backup
- Collect Necessary Tools
- Cleaning Dust From Components
- Best Place To Keep The Laptop
- Alternative – Cooling Pad
1. Facts Of Cooling Pad You Didn’t Know:
Actually, most people think that it’s a waste of time to purchase a cooling pad. But, I need to tell you that while testing the Havit HV-F2056 cooling pad, I have seen that laptop cooling pads actually work and help in better performance by lowering the temperatures. However, they are very cheap and almost every person who uses a laptop can afford it.
Cooling pads help the laptops to perform better.
Maybe you’re thinking about the theory behind: how laptops become cool?
So, let me tell you that it uses thermal grease that directly conducts heats, not electricity. The manufacturer links the CPU with the metal heat sink through thermal grease to eliminate the problem of overheating as much as possible.
The main components that enable the fan to suck in the cool air are the ventilations. Ventilations force the cool air above the heat sink for cooling purposes. To eliminate the problem of ports overheating copper is used.
Copper is used in eliminating heat.
2. Signs That Tells The Laptop Is Overheating:
If your laptop’s fan is running at maximum speed then it means that your laptop is overheating. Another sign that will tell you that your laptop is overheating is that you will face some performance problem because overheating slows down the clock speed.
As a result, your laptops will face overheating problems. However, you can use HWMonitors to measure your laptop’s heating values.
3. Finding The Main Problem Of Overheating:
Sometimes, it happens that you can’t see any improvement through the hardware fixes. If your laptop is one of those then you should deep dive in software fixes such as the performance and power usage.
Finding the main problem that is causing the heating problem is important. Suppose, your laptop is overheating due to some software fixes and you are focusing on the hardware fixes then it won’t give you a result. So, you have to find the main cause.
If you’re facing some software fixes then the thing you can do is reduce the brightness or decrease the CPU clock speed. Underclocking is controlled through software tools.
Here we have created another amazing guide on how to use the HDMI port with your computer. Make sure to read it if you’re interested.
4. Creating Data Backup:
Every laptop user has some data and files which are important for him. So, the first and most important thing you need to do is to make the backup of your files. If you’re facing the overheating problem in your laptop then it’s important to prepare your laptop for the backup.
With the help of backup, it will be easy to restore your important files and data. Don’t try to make the backup inside the laptop as it will cause you to list your data.
So, make sure to create a backup on the secondary storage such as hard disk, or USB flash drive. If you’re making the backup on the hard disk make sure that the hard disk is not linked with your laptop.
This step might take your 30 minutes maximum. If it takes more than 30 minutes. Then, don’t worry because it won’t take the whole day. You can expect to wait for the hour for this step.
Have you created the backup?
Let’s move to the next step.
5. Collect Necessary Tools:
There are some tools that you have to use for removing the laptop back cover and battery, and for cleaning the components. Following tools will help you in:
- Thermal grease
- Thermal grease scraper
- Cotton swabs
- Soft brush
6. Cleaning Dust From Components:
Cleaning the dust from the fans is the most important step when it comes to fixing the overheating problems from the hardware. By cleaning the fans from dust results in cooling to the CPU and GPU.
It’s important to clean the dust because as time passes, layers of dust and dirt start taking place which causes to block the airflow and slows the entire system. I think now you’ve got my point.
If you don’t know how you can open your laptop and clean these parts you can consult your laptop’s manufacturer. Now, after backing up the data and all relevant data files, shut down your computer properly and remove the power source and battery in order to open your laptop and clean the components.
After shutting down and removing the battery of your laptop. Take a cotton swab and dip it in a drop of alcohol and clean the fan carefully. Don’t connect your laptop with the power source or turn your laptop on until the alcohol is completely dried or evaporated.
Don’t rotate the fan in the wrong direction as it causes damage to the fan. The alternative of using cotton swabs for cleaning purposes is the vacuum cleaner that can remove the dust speedily that is present on the fans.
After cleaning the fans, it’s time to clean the exhaust ports. Exhaust ports are made for blowing out hot air. If they are not properly cleaned, it will be difficult for exhaust ports to blow out the hot air due to the dust and dirt.
Grease is dry material and usually, dry cloth or blowing air is used to remove it. Whereas, Alcohol wipes smear the whole component and smudge the thermal grease by making the big mess to clean.
The next thing you need to do is to disassemble your laptop and apply the thermal grease between the CPU and the heat sink interface.
Usually, laptops that have this heating problem are gaming laptops. So, we have crafted the amazing guide on the best gaming laptops that don’t face heating problems. Don’t forget to check that.
7. Best Place To Keep The Laptop To Avoid Overheating:
The one thing I want to ask you is: how do you use your laptop?
Please answer in the comment box. So, I can see how many of you found this helpful.
Sometimes, I use the laptop by keeping it on the pillow or blanket. But do you know, this is the reason your new laptop after sometimes your laptops start facing the overheating problem.
It’s because the surface of a pillow or a blanket is uneven and blocks your laptop airflow. And at last, your laptop’s cooling becomes weakened, and the heating temperature starts increasing. And finally, laptops start overheating.
The problem of overheating is that it damages other internal components of the laptop. You can prevent your laptop from overheating. However, if you want to prevent your laptop from overheating and avoid using your laptop like me, then you have to place your laptop on some hard and flat surface like:
8. The Alternative Of Cooler – Cooling Pad:
What is a Cooling Pad or Laptop Cooler?
A cooling pad is used to provide additional cooling but at the same time, it can also increase your laptop overheating problem. So, you have to know some basics of the cooling pad before purchasing. You have to understand the in and out of the airflow.
There are many laptops present in the market that sucks air for cooling purposes from the bottom. Hence, the cooler that is present under the laptop causes a huge increase in overheating rather than playing a role in cooling down purposes.
However, if you’re having the laptop that’s cooler is present at the bottom and want the alternative. Then, you should purchase the cooling pad that blows cool air in the upward direction.
6 Useful Tips To Keep Your Laptop From Overheating
1. Open up the machine and clean the fans with some compressed air. If the fan has broken down, find a new fan for a replacement.
2. Upraise your laptop by putting a book under the laptop. However, if you’re willing to spend some money you can purchase a laptop cooling mat.
3. Use a lap desk as it helps in maintaining balanced airflow and keeps your laptop cool.
4. Control the speed of the fan by installing programs such as SpeedFan because when the fan is running at high speed, it tells that CPU is working hard and result in getting a laptop hotter.
5. Avoid such processes on your machine that makes CPU to work hard.
6. Keep your laptop away from the high temperatures such as in summer may cause a computer to overheat due to the expansion of hard drive and battery damage.
6 Steps To Clean A Laptop Fan Without Taking It Apart
1. Remove the bottom panel of your laptop. Note that different manufacturers make different types of laptops. So be careful.
2. Hold the fan gently with your fingers so that it does not move or rotate.
3. Clean the fan face gently with a cloth. As the cloth gets dirty, clean it off or use another side of the cloth.
4. Clean the vents.
5. Use blower to blow into the fan to remove the dust from the fan. Do it until the fan gets clean.
6. Don’t remove any of the hardware until you have the complete knowledge of computer parts.
3 Most Common Negative Effects Of An Overheated Laptop
1. Overheating causes the laptop process to slow down and results in less efficiency.
2. Laptops that have overheating problems must have a battery problem. Many laptops have lithium-ion batteries that can be affected by the heat easily.
3. When the laptop begins to overheat, the efficiency and output of the electrical current get reduced while all the computer’s important components such as processor, memory and even the fans are all connected to the motherboard. So, an overheated laptop also damages the motherboard.
The most common reason why your laptop overheats so fast is because of the dust that has covered all the fans which can trap heat. To get rid of this, clean the vents, make sure the computer has good ventilation, and update the BIOS.
Different ways are used to prevent the laptop from overheating. And today, you’ve learned how to find the main problem of overheating, how to fix the overheating problem without taking it apart, and the good and the bad surface for laptop. If you want to learn more about why your laptop is slow you can visit here at this post.
Also, if you don’t have the time to do that you can buy a cooling pad to fix the overheating problem without taking it apart.
So, now you can regularly clean your laptop’s ventilation and fans to prevent overheating in the future. And last but not least, make sure to place your laptop on a flat or hard surface.
Like our above guide?
Then definitely you’ll love our other guides on the best wireless charger.